Saturday, February 25, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Dad turned the big 6-0 today!

He needed some help with the candles on the cake.

Thick and thin, I love this kid!

Aven has started sucking her thumb.  It is entirely cute!

We Three Kings

Tony has known dad longer than anyone at the table.  My favorite childhood story dad tells is about Tony getting to eat Fried Chicken after church at the air-conditioned Hillcrest Restaurant while he ate boiled eggs and drank warm water out of a mason jar with Frank and Flora Roller.

Paula has to put up with dad's stories too.  She has a few of her own to share.  I love that Easton has a cookie in his hand.  He knows that Papa always has cookies for him.  

Four generations of family at one table is hard to beat.

Dessert includes dad's favorite, self-titled "chocolate eruption cake".  The key is to ice the cake while it is still hot.  It's messy, but delicious.  He also got to eat his favorite homemade ice cream.  I think about each of those candles that represent a decade of his life.  Each one is special, different, and brings a lifetime of memories together.

Dad and his girls catch a movie after dinner. 

Although the temperature was rather chilly...

...we had big plans for remembering this night!

After I got the feeling back into my body, I reflected on what would inspire such a ridiculous event.  There's really no explaining it.  We are officially insane!
Follow the link to see the video:

It's good to have people who will jump into a frigid swimming pool to make an event memorable.  When asked, "What would your mother say?", I knew she would have been jumping in right beside me. 

These are the charter members of the Polar Bear Club.  We hope to make it an annual event.  

  Actually, these two are the true charter members.  Larry and I jumped in his swimming pool in Texas the February I turned 16.  The advantage was having a hot tub to thaw out in afterward.  Sometimes you have to act a little crazy to feel normal again.  Here's to doing things that don't make sense!

No comments: