Thursday, November 25, 2010

My First Bird

This is my first turkey to prepare for Thanksgiving.  I was apprehensive about the whole process, especially when it was still a bit frozen when it was time to put it in the oven.  Thankfully, after a few minutes in the "spa" (a nice luke warm sink bath), Tom was ready for cooking.

Matt was a big help in the kitchen.  Here he is mashing the sweet potatoes. 

Today was absolutely beautiful.  The sunset followed suit.  I could feel mom's presence all day.

Dad carved the bird, as usual.  Easton got in on the taste testing.

Justin also helped out in the kitchen.

In no time, we were ready to eat. 

We were all aware of the huge presence missing from this dinner table. 

The meal turned out to be perfect! 

I did forget to get the cranberry salad out of the refrigerator though.  Thankfully, we ate it like dessert. 

I was also aware of two other very important people who were missing from the table.

This is Papa's 81st Thanksgiving.  He says they keep getting better and better.

Even though some things were different this year, there was still piano playing...

...There were still monkeys jumping on the bed...

...and a wishbone war.

Anna is the champion for the second year in a row. 

The "Earthquake" box has been a big hit with the kids for the last couple of months.  They get inside while someone rolls them around.  I'm thinking another big box would be a great Chrismas gift.

Anna is really looking so much like a teenager.  It won't be long!

We had to get some pictures of everyone together. 

Papa doesn't mind all of the attention.

I'm thankful for Larry's family. 

Shelia is also a big help at a meal.  I didn't have to wash one dish.

The Three Amigos

The day was special for many reasons.  We loved being together and finding our way through a tough holiday without our mother.

No comments: