
For the last two days, I have turned my kitchen into tomato canning central. Mom bought two big boxes of tomatoes at the Farmer's Market and decided it was time for me to learn on my own how to be a southern woman. Apparently to be a southern woman means your kitchen must be 95 degrees at all times with every dish you own covered in tomato seeds and having tomato juice splashed on everything including the inside of your ears. I don't know if I'm ready or not, but here's the finished product.

It does kind of make me feel pretty southern to be able to pull off this major undertaking. I imagined my mother and her mother doing the exact same process over and over for years. Mom said Nanny would be proud and "There's nothing like jars of freshly canned tomatoes on the counter". I know I will enjoy opening these jars while making chili this fall!
No comments:
Post a Comment